My Baby Can Read
At first I didn't really see it at reading. I thought she was memorizing books that were familiar to her. Or names of stores where she recognized the logo. But she was actually reading, cuz well, she could read then. And reads even better now. And don't get me wrong I know lots of folks say "ohh Suky can read" and how " Billy was reading the New York Post at age 2." But this isn't what I'm saying. I'm just saying that when she picks out one of the many books her and her sisters share, she can read the entire book cover to cover. And these aren't the Run, Spot. See Spot Run type of books. She reads books that are about 20 pages with actual paragraphs. And she reads them as they should be read. Like pausing for comas, stopping at periods and reading exclamations with excitement.
The last book she read was a few days ago
So some days during the week, we break out the work books and she and her 2 sisters sit down at the dinning room table and get busy "unschooling" themselves. Of course little miss Ayana does more messing than she does anything else, but it still sets the tone that LEARNING IS FUN. Because to tell the truth, learning really is fun. I mean I ain't even tryna be funny. It really is. *smiling*
I suppose I was saying all that to say that I'm an an "unoffical" homeschooler. I don't know when it will be official. *shrug* I still have some time since she's not 8 years old yet. I just think it's so cool that she WANTS to read and she WANTS to sit down for 2 hours at a time and write in her work books. Oh yeah, she can write too. *shakin head.* And her siblings are right on her heels. So I do the language arts and hubby focuses on math and geopolitics. *chuckle to self*
So whenever I'm feeling "ventful" and looking cross-eye I'll just think what wonderfully beautiful intelligent individual thinking beings we are raising our four daughters to be.
Labels: The Daughters of Destiny
5 Comments:
At 4:50 PM, January 11, 2008,
Raquel said…
I LOVE the little Bill books! probably more than my kids which is pathetic...
Congrats on your smart little girl. Looks like they're taking after their momma.
At 4:32 PM, January 12, 2008,
Anonymous said…
Awwww. Go BIG SISTER. That's great the she comprehends what she reads. That's so cool. I love the idea of siblings reading to each other. It's the cutest thing to me. I'm sure the littler ones really enjoy it and I'm sure it will help with their reading skill also.
I used to tutor kids in reading and we used to focus ALOT on that, because many of them would read, but have NO CLUE what the story was about.
I keep going back and forth with the idea of home schooling too. Maybe one day I'll really commit to doing it. Although it will probably just be the baby because I can't see pulling the older kids out of school at their ages now.
At 3:31 PM, January 14, 2008,
A.u.n.t. Jackie said…
in my dream world..the one where i actually have a husband and some kids..we home school. I bake bread, we only eat organic foods, most of our veggies and herbs come from our garden...
and i'm healthy and happy.
Oh yea and I also have a friend named Nanny to help me out!
At 4:44 PM, January 19, 2008,
AR Gal said…
Hmmm, just commented but something in the network is on the yay yo so I'll try again.
I love the little Bill cartoon. I stop and watch it whenever I catch it on tv. It's hilarious with a good lesson to boot!
Your little angel has officially joined the "I'm a Big Kid Now" club. Good for her!! I know mama and daddy are beaming with pride.
At 2:50 PM, January 28, 2008,
Bliss said…
Yay! go head on baby girl! i'm proud of you and happy for you.
now you can read to mommy and the other girls. :-)
mommy, keep up your good works. we are our children's first teachers! :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home